10. To feel is something precious. You decided to leave, because you were not satisfied of what you had. Good. The lack of something is always what makes a passion grow, it’s normal. You miss something –> you want it, desire it –> there borns a new passion😀 You were missing something? Lucky you. Lots of people don’t know how to use their time, because they don’t have passions… They always got soon whatever they wanted, they had nothing to desire. Being able to get everything you want immediately is a bad thing, not a good one. YOU WERE LUCKY, you had to fight to get what you wanted. This turned into strenght, will, patience, determination. In life, whatever is missing is never really “missing”. It always pays back, but you won’t see at the first sight where the balance goes to: it’s now in your personal skills.
9. To leave my country… It was scary but awesome to leave all my problems back, all my routine, all my comfort zone, all my known people. Back. But the sense of freedom you get in return is priceless. The satisfaction to think “bloody hell, I can’t believe that I did this. But yes, in the end, I did. I’m strong enough to survive! To live alone, to travel alone, not to need anybody else. Let’s say that you realise that you’ll always need someone, the “human contact and interaction”, but that you can start from point zero whenever you want. Feeling the power to be the only owner of your life and choices. To be able to change yourself and the world around you. Experiencing the awareness that “YOU OWN THE POWER” (a bit like in Matrix movie) is something that will change the way you’ll face your life from now on. This will never abandon you, that awareness is yours forever.
8. Astonishing landscapes. Mongolia is something not easy to describe, indeed. Wild, with no civilization around you for hundreds of miles. To experience what the true silence means. There is a point where you may think “oh shit, I’m alone in this world. There is no life around me”. And you may feel sick for this lack of energy to absorbe around you. Even the wind stopped blowing. But then, all of a sudden, you notice it: that small, little light of energy under your bare feet. That small, apparently insignificant insect under the ground, or the bird flying high in the sky. There is ALWAYS life surrounding us. Sun itself, earth itself, are forms of life. Feeling part of it may seem hippie, but it’s the simple truth. Even when you’ll feel abandoned and lonely, you will never be. The planet is by your side, always, with a hand on your shoulder. You just have to realise it. YOU ARE ALWAYS CONNECTED, NEVER ALONE.
7. The skies and the oceans. Used to yellow-orange-red sunsets, to figure out for the first time that a sunset can include pink, purple, deep blue, and essentially all the colours of the world, it’s something that can help you release all you bad thoughts. Especially if the experience is shared with special people. And the milky way? Yes, at home in a very clear night, you can (maybe) try to guess its location. But uhmmm, hell, you’re not sure at all. Oh yes, you can always look at that fabolous app on your mobile phone… Screw it. Forget it. Go to a desert, and look up to the sky. The milky way is as evident as your own breath. The air is cold but frizzy like never before. And what about the oceans? We all know how the surface may look like… C’mon, we all have had at least once some ocean wallpaper on our desktop, a picture of a friend as screensaver, or so on. But did you ever feel part of a ocean’s life? That was a marvellous experience to me. I felt like this was not my element, seriously, it was easier for me to jump down from an airplane with a parachute, 4200 mt from the ground, that going down just a ridiculous 15 mt. But still, despite of the anxiety, what I saw was worth it. THE WORLD WILL NEVER STOP TO SURPRISE YOU. But remember: the beauty is in the eye of the beholder…
6. Give up on having any kind of “goal” to reach during your trip. People usually start travelling with a thought like “I want to see THIS, I want to go THERE, I want to, I want to, I want to”. There is no other purpose in travelling, than… TRAVELLING. The simple joy of living, being owner of your life and time, making new experiences, testing yourself, pushing yourself, knowing new people, changing your life, improving who you are. There is a moment when you realise how all temples are the same, how churches are the same, how castles are the same… Of course they are NOT, but seeing another one won’t mean anything to you. You’d rather prefer to spend your day chilling in a park and looking at the people around you, or getting to know better your roommates or the local culture. Because the world is plenty of assholes, but all of them have something to teach you. Especially the lessons you don’t want to learn🙂
5. There is a specific moment, that punctually arrives if you are open enough to recognize it, where you’ll think “holy crap, this stranger just did something for me that my best friend would never do for me”. And that’s the best thing to notice: THE KINDNESS OF STRANGERS. People who are so generous, so gentle, that they don’t want to hear that damned two words you want to say: thank you. People that don’t need them. Why? Because they don’t expect anything in return. And if you’ll try to ask them “why did you…?”, they’ll smile you back with their broken teeth and say “I have to thank you: you gave me the opportunity to do something good… THANK YOU!!”.
4. And point five leads us here, to point four😀
In your previous life, you were surrounded by negativity: the social networks are nowaday a nest of envy, anger, and frustration, the news on tv only talks about corruption, murders, and how you don’t have to trust people because they are fucking insane. Everything is about business and money, that will lead you to consumerism with no respect for other people or nature, and to the unreachable stairs of success. Doing something with nothing in return? Oh no, that’s impossible, there must be a mistake… Maybe there was a trick you didn’t notice. I’m sure they will fuck you soon, deerie. Sorry. NOBODY does something to get anything back. Well, point 5 showed us this is WRONG. Of course, bad guys do exist, but there is plenty of amazing people around you, you just don’t know them yet.
And then, during your trip, you start seeing people that don’t need “the something back” to be happy, they don’t need to envy, to get frustrated, to reach the stairs of success. They are poor and they look miserable to you, because of what you see from the outside. But maybe you shall look miserable to them, for what they shall see from the inside, as you were just the reflection of your capitalist society at the beginning of your trip. Everybody is so caring about Ebola virus right now… Oh no, it’s killing so many innocent people! We all have to donate for the research, to stop it! Oh, really? Did you know how many innocents die every year for hunger, and there is a cure for this? But hunger it’s not contagious, so you don’t need to worry about it, right? So pathetic… And that’s the gift you earn in point 4: the awareness that they have been lying to you, all the time. That society wants you to envy, to hate, not to be happy and satisfied, not to realise that you need less than 100 objects (that can be packed in a 60 lt backpack) to live and TO BE HAPPY. Why? Because it’s profitable. And that’s all.
3. Also connected to points 5 and 4, you realise so that people can do amazing or truly horrible things. You knew it also before, I know… But if before you used to think that the average was zero point, and that people could go from -10 to +10, now you know that people can go from -100 to +100. And the difference is that now you know that YOU can go for +100😀 We have truly few limits, and almost all of them are in our mind. They are not absolut limits, or, better, they are absolut only until you face and break them🙂
2. And another thing you’ll gain during your trip: EMPATHY. Empathy has many different definitions that encompass a broad range of emotional states, including caring for other people and having a desire to help them; experiencing emotions that match another person’s emotions; discerning what another person is thinking or feeling; and making less distinct the differences between the self and the other.
1. There is NO END TO YOUR JOURNEY. Even if you’ll be back, the seed has been sown. You’ll keep growing, you’ll be searching for the truth wherever you’ll be, you’ll try to fight against the injustices you’ll find in your way (and the badasses ;))
Because what you learned (and learning to think) is like running a bike: once you learned, you never forget how it works. So, do you think you are the expert one and “oh no, not tourists again please, I don’t want to deal with the 15-days holiday tourists again”… Don’t you remember? Everybody has something to teach us. Do you think you saw everything in this world, because you left a footprint in each continent? Don’t you know that what you saw on Monday shall be seen also on Sunday, what you saw in daytime shall be seen also in nighttime, and that what you saw today shall be seen also tomorrow, because there won’t be the same people there? And even if there would still be the same people, they could be in different mood, or anyway they cannot be exactly the same as yesterday. Face the truth: you can’t see the whole world. And it doesn’t matter. :)